This conference is will be vendored. The vendor # is PD3141
Conference is Friday and Saturday, August 2-3, 2019, the schedule is below:
About the Presenter
Presented by Terri Couwenhoven, MS is an AASECT certified sex educator who specializes in designing and implementing sexuality programs and materials for people with intellectual disabilities, their families and the professionals who support them.
She is the author of 4 books:
Her puberty workshops help families learn together in a comfortable, safe, and fun environment. Concrete teaching methods (videos, slides, pictures, games, activities) will be used to improve comprehension and help parents become more comfortable and confident toward helping their child/children understand body changes, self-care, and appropriate social behavior.
For more information visit her website: http://terricouwenhoven.com
Friday August 2, 2019 | Day 1 | Parents & Educators ONLY
2:00-2:45 pm | Registration
3:00-4:45 pm | Session 1 | Sexual Learning in Individuals with Intellectual Disabilities
- This session compares and contrasts sexual learning in the general population with sexual learning in students with intellectual disabilities. Designed to help participants/educators understand unique circumstances in the lives of people with intellectual disabilities that shape attitudes and behaviors around sexuality. This is a great foundational workshop if you are not sure where to begin.
5:00-6:00 pm | A Simple Dinner provided
6:15-9:00 pm | Session 2 | Sexuality Education for Individuals with Cognitive Disabilities
- This session integrates best practice research for teaching sexuality to individuals with cognitive disabilities. Learning foundational concepts that support healthy sexuality (understanding the body, social skills, relationships, exploitation prevention, privacy awareness) will be addressed. Teaching strategies (how do I teach?) along with key foundational concepts (what do I teach?) are presented. Examples of resources and ideas for teaching at home, school, and in the community are shared.
Saturday August 3, 2019 | Day 2 | Self Advocate Workshops (puberty workshops include parent(s)
Check in | One half hour before the seminar you choose begins
9:00-11:00 am | Let’s Talk About Puberty for GIRLS (ages 9-15, or those in the midst or close to finishing puberty)
- This workshop is for pre-adolescent females with intellectual disabilities and their parent(s). Following this workshop, participants will be able to distinguish between public and private places, body parts, and behaviors as well as identify physical and emotional changes that happen to females during puberty, identify hygiene products used by adults and why they important and how to use and change a feminine hygiene pad correctly and identify safety rules for private body parts and what to do if rules are broken.
12:30-2:30 pm | Let’s Talk About Puberty for BOYS (ages 10-16 who are beginning or close to finishing puberty)
- This workshop is for pre-adolescent aged with intellectual disabilities and their parent(s). Following this workshop, participants will be able to: Distinguish between public and private places, body parts, and behaviors, identify physical and emotional changes that happen to males during puberty, identify hygiene products used by adults and why they important and identify safety rules for private body parts and what to do if rules are broken.
3:00-5:00 pm | Let’s Talk about Relationships and Boundaries | High School Aged Teens & Young Adults
- This co-ed workshop is for high school-aged teens and young adults with intellectual disabilities and addresses basic types of relationships, the role these people play in our lives, and appropriate boundaries within different relationships.
6:30-8:30 pm | Let’s Talk About Dating | High School Aged Teens & Young Adults
- This co-ed workshop is for high school-aged teens or young adults with intellectual disabilities who are interested in dating. Following this workshop, participants will be able to: Describe what it means to “date” and why people date, identify essential steps for starting a dating relationship and distinguish between health and unhealthy relationships