Adult Social Groups - Pilot Program
Club 21 continues to strategically develop programs for transition-age young adults with Down syndrome. These social groups are a pilot program that will run from February 2023-September 2023, after which they may be extended with slight changes based on feedback gathered from the pilot period.
Club 21 will pilot four adult (age 18-30) social groups each with a different shared interest as its theme:
- Film and Theater
- Outdoor Activities
- The Arts and Music
Each group will have about 6 adults with Down syndrome and two neurotypical peer facilitators with the goals of:
- developing social/friendship skills in real-world environments
- learning the steps to plan social events
- initiating and planning their own social activities outside the four events organized as part of this program.
- expanding interests and being introduced to a variety of possible interests/passions
Each group will meet four times from February-September which is roughly every other month. Each event will have an activity and a portion where the group will eat and have a conversation. Families must provide transportation to and from the event for their young adult.
Tentative dates for each social group can be found below. Each young adult can only be in one social group. These dates are subject to change based on availability of events planned in each social group:
|Film and Theater||Sports||The Arts and Music||Outdoor Activities|
|The Lion King @ The Pantages Theater: Sunday, February 12, 2023||LA Kings Game @ Crypto Arena: Saturday, February 18, 2023||Visit to LACMA: Saturday, March 18, 2023||Hike!: Sunday, March 19, 2023|
|A Little Night Music @ The Pasadena Playhouse: Friday, April 28, 2023||Dodgers Game @ Dodger Stadium: Saturday, April 15, 2023||Norton Simon Museum: Saturday, May 20, 2023||Huntington Gardens: Saturday, May 27, 2023|
|To be decided by group: Friday, June 16, 2023||To be decided by group: Weekend in June 2023||To be decided by group: Saturday, July 15, 2023||To be decided by group: Saturday, July 22, 2023|
|To be decided by group: Saturday, August 19, 2023||To be decided by group: Weekend in August 2023||To be decided by group: Saturday, September 16, 2023||To be decided by group: Saturday, September 23, 2023|
Expectations and Skills Required for Participants
This program is geared for individuals who are able to:
- stay with the group and follow the plan
- review preparatory materials before each social event containing expectations and useful vocabulary
- follow instructions from facilitators
- use a debit/credit card or cash to pay for their own food
- pay fees associated with the event on time
- use the restroom independently
- carry with them and use a cell phone
If a participant requires one-on-one supports to meet these expectations, arrangements will need to be made by the family.
There are three roles that will rotate between members of the social group. Each participant should be prepared to fulfill all three roles with necessary supports between social events. The roles are as follows:
- Communicator: Conveys activity/event details to group including time and location via communication method decided upon by the group
- Menu developer: Chooses the restaurant or other food arrangements for the event
- Feedback gatherer: Responsible for gathering feedback from the group about the event and communicating it to the facilitators
Registration Fee: $300
(covers costs for facilitators)
Families will be expected to pay fees associated with activities including entry fees and meals.
If you are in need of financial assistance, please email email@example.com. Club 21 NEVER turns a family away due to financial need.